Accu-Just Hitch Pins

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:49:13 -0500

You guys are the greatest. You have really been a big help.
I got a response from Baldwin. They want me to call them, so I'll be calling
them tomorrow to see if they can give me any info on the piano. I think you
guys have pretty well straightened be out. Might not hurt to hear what the
factory has to say, though.
I also requested a bass string quote from Schaff, but got no answer. They
are probably pretty tied up with the funeral and all.
So, I requested a quote from Mapes. Hopefully I'll hear from them tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I got a call from the ambassadors house, so I have to call her
tomorrow, too.
I'm feeling much better about this now, so thanks to all of you. Hopefully
my two cents on something will help one of you someday too. I'll try anyway.

Richard Strang

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 7:11 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Accu-Just Hitch Pins

>The piano sounds pretty good now, even with the messed up bass strings. I
>think what I'll do is get a hold of a good down bearing gauge and measure
>the strings as they are now, then duplicate it. How's that sound?
>
>Richard

Sounds like a good approach to me. You might also cut a small maple wedge
to record the height of the hitch loops above the plate at the ends of the
bass section. Slide the wedge under the first loop (lying on the plate)
until it touches the loop, mark the depth at which it touches on the wedge,
label it #1. Flip the wedge over and slide it in at the top of the bass
section. Mark it and label it #? - whatever. When you re-install the
strings and set the bearing, the wedge will give you another reality check
against what was there originally.

Ron N