Sticking sustain pedal.

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 20:45:54 -0600

Hi Brent, Look for the cause as well as the cure. Example, If there is too
much travel in the pedal, the player can cause the dowel to pop out of the
socket if the player's foot slips off when depressing the pedal.
And it might not be the dowel, pedal assembly at all but broken or week
damper lever springs Or Or etc.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <doepkeb@comcast.net>; "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 8:31 PM
Subject: Re: Sticking sustain pedal.

Brent,
         I usually try to ask more questions over the phone. "Can you
describe what happens when the pedal sticks? Does the pedal stay down on
the floor? Do note continue to ring or sound after the pedal is let go? Are
some notes more prominent than others? Which ones? Etc." These questions
and more can be used to give you more of an idea what your up[ against and
perhaps more importantly how much time it will take. A similar check list
is used for "sticking" keys. Hope this helps.

Greg Newell

At 10:16 PM 6/25/2003, you wrote:

>Hello List,
>
>I have a customer who called and said that her sustain pedal is
>sticking.  I will see her Friday, but...can you give me some suggestions
>on what might be causing the sticking?  What should I look for?    It is a
>console piano.
>
>As always, I am thankful for the chance to tap into your knowledge and
>grateful to you for sharing it.
>

>Brian Doepke
>doepkeb@comcast.net
>
>---