bridge pin sizes

Bob Hull hullfam5@yahoo.com
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 18:47:39 -0700 (PDT)

I am rebuilding (partially) a Baldwin R and some of the bridge pins were loose.  Usually when I find a few loose pins they've all been loose.  However,
We got started pulling a few pins and began to find quickly that only a very few were loose.
So, now I don't plan on replacing them all.  Of course since the vice grips messed up the pins we pulled we need to replace those (basically the highest section of the bridge).

The pins we pulled mic at .078 to .080.  Aren't .076 and .086 the only close sizes available?  Which ones would you use? I know I could put in .076 pins with West system epoxy to fill the gap but would the decrease in side bearing be of concern?

When oversized pins are put in does the increase in side bearing matter?

Bob Hull