older steinway grands

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:46:15 +0200

www.stanwoodpiano.com

http://www.pianoman.nl/piano/touchweight/artikelmrt2000/pagina1.htm

> It would seem to me to be crazy to order
> new hammers and then file them down to be so small so as to get lightness or
> am I missing something ?

That would be a waste yes..

> gram weights are no problem but repetition is and
> if you weaken the spring to reduce "weight" you worsten the repetition.

The Stanwood metrology and method allows you a very easy way of looking at the
actions leverage. With it the technician is empowered with knowledge that will
allow him / her to assess the actions leverage and alter it if neccessary to
accomodate several differeing action criteria... amoung the most common of these
is the choice of how much hammer weight to use.

In addition to this... the methodolgy also provides unprecedented static
balancing of the keys, leverage, and hammer weights to one another. This static
balancing has been shown quite conclusively (IMHO) to be of great value in
providing an eveness charachteristic to whatever touchweight levels are desired.

RicB