Replacing Grand Jack Cords

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:29:20 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of gordon stelter
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 2:10 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: Replacing Grand Jack Cords

Yes, Tom,
    Until the piano is played again, vigorously, and
then "intact" does not amount to much......
     Anyway: I have always just drilled out the old
cord and wooden plug, usually by pushing against a bit
in a drill press, then put in a new cord around some
appropriately sized round object ( keep those jokes to
yourselves, lads! ) held the waste ends ( pulled taut
) against the sides with pliers, and plugged the whole
business from behind with a toothpick dipped in glue.
Trimmed with razor when dry.
     Good enough, or have ye a better suggestion?
     Haven't really done a set in years, and am
therefore, suddenly "all ears".
     Thump

--- Tom Driscoll <tomtuner@attbi.com> wrote:

> Joe,
> 	I was under the impression that silk cord had
> excellent strength
> and longevity. Case in point those hundred year old
> grand whippens where
> the only thing intact IS the silk cord .
> 	Tom Driscoll

Gordon,

	 Here I am ,the defender of a natural substance from Gordon
Stelter, Champion of the Oppressed!  Hey Thumpy, did you realize that
innocent silk worms are being exploited against their will, just for the
edification of humans.
	I think we have a new cause here!
	SAVE THE SILK WORMS!!!!
	I'll start with a charitable contribution and establishment of a
foundation to find homes for the displaced silk worms.
	Ahhh ---makes me all warm and fuzzy.
	Tom Driscoll