Earthquake proof

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 09:04:43 -0700

What would concern me is that the piano could move away from the wall,
in which case there would be some danger of tipping backwards. So
cabling it to the wall would give people a feeling of security.

Earthquakes can produce different kinds of motion and, therefore, it's
difficult to predict what will happen. In out last big one, all three
leg plates of a Steinway grand broke and it crashed to the floor.
Another grand had completely turned over on its lid. I don't remember
that any uprights fell, though.

Tom Cole
Santa Cruz, CA
Home of the 7.1 Loma Prieta quake, 5:04 pm, 10/17/89