older steinway grands

Jim Parker jhparker@rose.net
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:47:52 -0400

I'm not sure I would ever straighten a sloping capstan.  Steinway did that
for a reason.  The sloping capstan matched with a sloping whippen heel
yields zero friction between the two.  That is because they roll on each
other due to the matching involute(?) curves  rather than the capstan
sliding against the whippen heel as it rises.  This was explicated
beautifully by Chris Robinson many years ago at a convention class I
attended.  At the time replacement whippens from Steinway with the sloped
heel were unavailable and Chris was cutting his heels to get it.  Later
Steinway again began offering the original type heels for rebuilds on older
instruments I believe.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonno Clarke" <jonnotune@hotmail.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 12:07 PM
Subject: older steinway grands

I wonder if anyone can help me with the question of what to do about older
Steinway grand actions, the type that have the sloping back capstans. I
always find that when fitting new  (Abel) hammers to these pianos that the
touch becomes rather on the heavy side - would it help to remove the
capstans fill the keys and re-tap and then fit the capstans like on newer
pianos ?. The client doesnt want to fit new whippens and the be fair there
is really nothing wrong with the old ones. The problem is that the hammers
are worn out and need replacing. Help please !