older steinway grands

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:40:38 +0200

Bill Ballard wrote:

> I had a choice between a cap whose size matched the one on the
> original rep, but which definitely rode above the "magic line", and a
> tall one which made it down to the line. Both mounted on the same
> spot, forward of the original heel. The shorter heel should have
> shown more friction than the taller one, because it was well off the
> "sweet spot". In fact, the was no significant difference in friction.

Thats been my experience as well. In fact fooling around with these magnets I
can hold the whippen and the capstan apart through the UW/DW measurements and
find really no friction change. Perhaps a gram when the Change in BW becomes
great enough.

> What was different was a couple of grams of BW, added by the taller
> heel.

How would the taller heel add a couple grams BW ?

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.