Nice Tails ???

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:49:39 +0200

bruce greig wrote:

>  From my own experience, reducing the mass of the hammer moldings has
> minimal effect on touch weight and there are so many other factors to
> consider that you would have to see the piano first hand, or at least
> know it's complete history... ----- Original Message -----

Gotta echo Keiths post here Bruce.  As a very general rule of thumbs,
you can count on 5 grams of touchweight i.e. (DW + UW) / 2,  for every
gram of hammer weight. If you sand off a gram of those tails, as you
most certainly can by the looks of them,  you will reduce the amount of
counterbalanceing needed by 5+ grams no doubt about it.

Having to see the piano first hand is not really longer prerequisit
methinks. A few appropriately taken measurements pertaining to leverages
and parts weights can tell us enough to make quite appropriate
suggestions for changes in the action that will either improve its
performance as intended, or alter its basic touch characteristics in
predetermined fashion.

btw... turns out these hammers are Steinways alright. I asked the fellow
and shor'nuf... the S&S name is stamped on one of the lower bass
hammers.

Would be interesting to have a gander at the factories criteria for how
much wood to remove in tailing the hammers. Looks to me like this was
pretty much.... a minimalist approach. :)

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne