Nice Tails ???

Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:33:21 +0200

bruce greig wrote:

> Keith - ok, I believe you, but if there is a more serious problem with
> excessive friction as just recently discussed on this list, shouldn't that
> be addressed first?  Doesn't that have more effect than excessive hammer
> weight?   I was wondering if  new shanks & flanges were also installed which
> do not match old reps. (jack to knuckle).  It's not clear to me, but it
> sounds like the piano is in Norway and that American S&S parts were ordered,
> so is it not possible that this could be part of the problem?  Bruce

Friction of course is an issue somewhat independant of hammer weight, tho its
clear that the more hammer weight there is.. the more bearing the parts will
have on each other ... compounding existing friction levels.

But of course..... friction needs to be handled and brought within acceptable
norms before, or as part of any touchweight adjustment.

The piano is in the States, and its an all American NY Steinway. Parts appear
all to be origional NY parts. Friction issues have already been fairly well delt
with and is around 10 to 12 grams on average. Certainly the position of the
knuckle is of importance, but thats at 17 mm already.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.