Horowitz piano

Charles E. Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 08:04:09 -0500

Bob,

I had the opportunity to tune the Horowitz piano about eleven years ago
in Des Moines. With the memory of his Rachmaninoff 3rd recording fresh in
my mind, I expected to hear an overly bright piano with perhaps shallow
keydip or other modifications to help this 80ish pianist runs those
incredibly rapid passages. Instead, like you, I found it to be a decent
but not an extroadinary D.

Charles Faulk

On Wed, 7 May 2003 00:33:15 EDT BobDavis88@aol.com writes:
Ed Foote writes:
>When Steinway "restored" the "Horowitz piano",  they simply threw away
all
>the  hammers and whippens and installed a new action. ...  It gave
absolutely no indication of what it was like when Horowitz was using it!

Bill Ballard replies

A shameful bait and switch.

Yeah, I drove 50 miles to see it, only to find a nice enough, ordinary
model D. I pulled off the keyslip in the desperate hope that they had the
original action on a shelf somewhere, but no, it was the original frame
with new parts. What a loss. Not because it was wonderful, but perhaps
because it was not. It would have been instructive to compare the
extraordinary music Horowitz was able to make on an instrument which was
significantly outside the norm, mechanically - to connect the influence
of the machine with the music.

Sigh.
Bob D

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!