Hamburg hammer replacement

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 01:06:18 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/2003 8:47:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hullfam5@yahoo.com writes:

> In consideration of when it is time to replace a set of grand hammers, what
> factors come into play besides 1. overcentering due to previous filing down
> to a smaller size
>  2. a shape, such as too flat on the face, which too much filing would be
> required without ruining the shape in order to correct.
>

> If a set of hammers on a 9' Hamburg (about 11 years old) have a shape from
> previous reshaping jobs that appears quite rounded and with no "sloped
> shoulders"  would this have a negative effect on tonal production?  In other words
> how important is the shape?  Steinway manual discusses the need for the sloped
> or narrowed shoulders doesn't it?  These hammers appear to be small to me
> without much felt left between wood and crown even in mid range.
>
> I have tried to search archives but haven't found what I was looking for.
>
> Any suggestions for evaluation criteria?
>
> Bob

Bob,

I think the 2 factors you listed are pretty good indicators, but they're only
indicators. Primary are tone, color change, and the ability to maintain
voicing. We have all seen some hammers that looked pretty funky but sounded great
or at least very good.

It's true that shape, weight, distribution of density, and angle of incidence
pretty much control the sound, but we really have to go by the response of
the pianists using the instrument. Physical size of the hammer is not reliable
as a test (weight more so) as density can vary significantly.

Also, the Hamburg shape is typically not as pointy as the NY shape. The hammer
s are rounder, denser, and less amenable to pointing (the lacquer in the NY
ones helps maintain cohesion with a pointier shape).

Regards,
Another Bob