repairing broken pedals

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 00:19:20 -0800

Ellwood:

            I've had some pedals welded which did work out.  I took them
to a local shop, as I have no welding experience.  Hardest part was
installing them afterwards (remove the bottom).  New pedals of slightly
different dimension can be adapted.  Usually, you can find some
replacement pedals that will work.  Maybe you'll have to move the pedal
pivot brackets a little farther back or forward, but there are plenty of
holes in the pedal to line up the adjusting rod.  Either way will work.
Good luck!

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Elwood Doss, Jr.
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 9:51 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: repairing broken pedals

Hey guys,

Have a problem.  I have three broken pedals off of two uprights.  One is
a Grinnell console built in the mid-40's with two pedals.  Both have
been broken about 1'' behind the horn.  The length of the pedals are 8
1/2" with 5 1/8" from horn to center of pin.  The other is an old
upright, the right pedal broken just behind the horn.  Dimensions;  9
1/2" long; 5 9/16" from horn to center of pin.  All three pedals have
been brazed or welded.  What's the chance that they can be repaired and
how difficult is it to weld/braze them?   What about replacing with new
pedals?  None in Schaff fit the dimensions of either size pedal.

Any ideas?

Joy!

Elwood

Elwood Doss, Jr. RPT