Do Damp-Chasers Work?

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 09:25:44 +0100

I noticed an extreme pitch stability with the Damp chaser installed,
while I did not install more than a few.

Leaves me with more time to do current maintenance, hammer mating and
regulation check-up. (I rarely have time for it if the PR is due).

Best Regards

I. O

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Joseph Garrett
Envoyé : samedi 1 novembre 2003 04:04
À : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : Do Damp-Chasers Work?

>From time to time, I see doubters in regard to Damp-Chasers doing any
good.
In the past week I've had two instances that prove, (to me), that
they, in
fact, work great!

First one: Regular Client moved her piano to her folks place, as her
and
husband are embarking on a 5 year sailboat cruise. (I'm positively
green
with envy!) The parent's house is 1940's construction. Their laundry
room
was an after thought in the construction, so there is no place to vent
the
dryer! (except into the house!) Mom's piano and Daughter's piano were
tuned
6 months ago. The grand has a complete system, while the Upright has
nothing. Both are Steinways. 6 months later the grand is still very
much in
tune and not in need of even a touch-up! The tuning on the upright was
an 18
cent pitch raise, 6 months ago. Checked the upright....it's 25 cents
sharp!!!!!! Convinced the Mom to have a Damp-chaser installed

Second one: Two 1920's Uprights, side by side. One has a
Damp-chaser/Humidistat installed. The other nothing. Tuned both 12
months
ago. Tuned the one with the Damp-Chaser in it, first. It was 2 cents
sharp
of where I had tuned it last year. (No problem<G>) The other one was
18
cents Sharp!!! Big problem, as they are used for two piano thingees, a
lot.
Solution, install Damp-Chaser/Humidistat in the second one. Will wait
4-6
weeks for the DC to take effect and go tune it.
I've been installing DCs for 30+ years and I swear by them. There are
other
stories, but y'all get the ideer!<G>
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)