Pinblock Separation Repair

JAMES DALLY jdally@ecr.net
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:55:27 -0500

Terry:  My computer tells me I am not qualified to bring up Piper.  Any
suggestions?  Thanks
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <files@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 12:50 PM
Subject: Pinblock Separation Repair

Several folks requested pictures of a pinblock separation repair, so
here goes. Click on the links below for the pictures. Several show the
pipe clamps in place. After applying epoxy into the crack as deep as
you can get it, it seems to help to tighten each clamp and then go back
and tighten them all again. Tighten all clamps several times - you
will find that even though they were tight a few minutes ago, you can
often keep tightening them more and closing the gap more. Keep cleaning
up squeeze out as you go.

Important to remember to only clamp at backposts. If you try to clamp
on the spacer blocks between backpost you will only manage to bust up
the back assembly pretty good - DAMHIK (it was a long time ago - and on
my piano)!

In past jobs on larger pianos I was able to bolt, clamp and epoxy all
at the same time. On this console, I had space problems so I epoxied
and clamped - let cure for 48 hours - then drilled and through bolted.
You will see in two of the pictures that the nut for the center bolt
was right in the middle of several tuning pins - I couldn't get a
wrench on the nut with the tuning pins in place. So I had to remove
them to tighten nut. A pretty acorn nut would not fit on the center
bolt so I just used a plain nut.

You'll also note that I had to go in on a bit of an angle on the two
end bolt holes because of case clearance problems.

Other than that, all is fairly self-explanatory I think. Please ask
away if you have any questions. Piano tuned up real nice and I think it
has decades of service left in it.

Terry Farrell

Photos at:

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/04/db/d1/21/