Short Treble (sustain?)

Mon, 3 Nov 2003 07:03:36 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 01, 2003 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: Short Treble (sustain?)

> >I suspect the problem is with the string buzzing against the side of the
> >slot.
> >
> >Del
>
> Perhaps, though I have a hard time imagining much vibration excursion in
> that short segment. At that, how difficult or more expensive is a wider
> slot, as long as you're cutting one anyway? It's not like it will cost
> anything important in rigidity. A grooved center rod would help too,
though
> it would cost a bit more to produce.
>
> Ron N

-----

As do I. I did think it a possibility, though, as I worked with similar
devices at Baldwin. The easiest way to solve the problem (if it exists)
(and, other than putting some damping material between the leading
termination and the center deflector rod) is, as you suggest, to groove the
center rod. This could be rolled and, in quantity, is not as expensive as
you might think. In limited quantities, however, it might well be a factor.
This can be used to solve another problem as well -- the varying string
deflection angles as the wire size changes. I played around with several
groove depths, deeper in the low tenor and bass, more shallow in the
tenor/treble.

Del