Fw: tubby bass string replacement tip

Mon, 3 Nov 2003 21:37:53 -0000

ps I hope you're not tee-totallers over there? It doesn't work so well =
if you use coke bottles.  :-)(-;=20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Tvak@aol.com=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: tubby bass string replacement tip

In a message dated 10/26/03 5:54:53 AM, cedel@supernet.com writes:

  Tom, are you aware that there are universal strings available larger =
than #1

Yes, I do.  Still, my suggestion in the post was that perhaps at times, =
with the right instrument, replacing a broken string with an undersized =
string might be an appropriate choice.  No one really responded to that, =
specifically.

Yes, tying the old one back in would probably be the best choice of all. =
=20

There are plenty of old uprights that have dead bass strings, with =
students as their primary players, and households that have no money for =
a better piano or new bass strings, who have thrown the old string away, =
that might benefit from this technique. =20

At least, that's what I wanted to suggest.  I accept any and all flames =
directed at this concept.

Tom Sivak