Geo. Steck upright

David Melis pianotunings@juno.com
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:23:48 +0100

Hello!

As a first-time poster, new tuner, and total novice in the art and
science of piano technology, I have been dutifully taking in all the
wisdom, advice, and experience that the many regular contributors to this
list have to offer.  Thank you for all that I have learned and all that I
will learn.

This last weekend I tuned a full-size Geo. Steck upright, vintage
1910-15, if the piano tech who last worked on it is correct.  (I did not
make a note of the serial number, regrettably.  From what the owner said,
the piano tech who dated it based his/her age estimate on the fact that
the bass strings are wound with what appears to be steel rather than
copper.)  In any case, many of the pins were very loose, and as I'm
tuning it I'm seeing that the pinblock is riddled with cracks, which of
course helps to explains the looseness.  It took two hours to get it as
good as I could, and not until I got home and was thinking about it did I
realize -- duh! -- that I have never before seen a piano where the
pinblock was exposed and not covered by the plate.  How interesting!

Does anyone know whether this is how the piano was actually designed?
And if so, do you have any idea why?  I would love to know more.

Best regards,

David G. Melis
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild
1512 West Thorndale
Chicago, IL  60660
(773) 728-9762

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!