Convex Plate

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:45:51 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,
    I provided a purchase consult today on a 1911
Ludwig upright.
    Most items were looking normal for an old wornout
piano: Pins were moderately snug, no broken strings,
1/2 step flat, top of plate bulging toward player....
    The top of the pinblock is covered with a lovely
cap that would not look so lovely had I used my
wonderbar to remove it.  Am I correct in thinking the
manufacturer did not build the plate with the convex
feature and that, indeed, the pinblock has moved
forward?  It reminds me of the Looney Tunes cartoons
where the water is building up behind the door that is
bulging wildly, waiting to burst.

Dave Davis,Assoc.
Renton, WA