Fw: short trebble

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:54:27 -0000

Hello Stephane Collin
If the down bearing measurements are in accordance with manufacturers =
specs, given that the piano has had a re-capped bridge are you sure the =
soundboard crowning is still OK??
Kind regards
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----=20
From: St=E9phane Collin=20
To: Pianotech=20
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: short trebble

Hello Michael.

Yes, I meant varnish on the top of the bridges.  From previous comments, =
it appears that the cosmetic and sealing layer of varnish, even on the =
top of the bridge, should have little or no effect on the sustain of the =
notes, which I verified by scraping that varnish from the top of the =
bridge, and ascertaining that there was no better sustain.  But not all =
agree with this statement, and still, me too, have hard time =
understanding why there is no acoustic difference between with or =
without a coat of varnish.

Any other idea about how to improve sustain ? (I checked for downbearing =
at front and rear of the bridge, checked for lose joints between the =
soundboard and the rim, checked for loose pins in the bridge.  I was =
suggested to replace the soundboard, which I was about to do, and asked =
a quote at the Bechstein factory (anyway, FAR too expensive) and the guy =
there told me he wouldn't do that, pretending they can't beat the =
quality of those old soundboards (but this is another thread).)

St=E9phane Collin (B)
  ----- Original Message -----=20