"training" pianos?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:58:26 EST

In a message dated 04/11/03 8:22:05 PM, kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net writes:

<<  But, has anyone ever heard of such a thing?  If a piano is not tuned
regularly in its early life, it will never hold a tune?  I can't fathom that this
could be true...sounds like a line of BS.

  But then, what do I know? (Answer: Less and less as time goes on!)

  Tom Sivak

<<May I suggest that the above tuner's explanation may not have been too
much B.S. after all, but just his own effort to illustrate the necessity of
regular tunings.
Carman Gentile RPT>>

I agree Carman. We will never know what the tech said exactly and what the
customer says the tech said may not reflect the meaning/words as the tech
intended, rather more than likely the customer's interpetation of those
remarks...........

as for "If a piano is not tuned regularly in its early life, it will never
hold a tune?" Tom there is some truth to this feeling ...perhaps :-)

 A newly strung piano has a certain preordained amount of stretching/settling
to do based on the design/scale/climate.......so in some cases the statement
could be true....let's say a piano is delivered new to a customer and the
customer does not have it tuned for two years...surely a pitch raise will be
called for......and the pitch raise will leave a basically unstable piano with
still new strings which haven't stopped their streching/settling and a
soundboard/bridge mechanism which has not settled in to it's final (more or less)
position... the piano is not tuned again for two years and the same situation is in
play...another two years, etc., etc.............gonna be an unstable piano for
a longgggg time huh?
 Wheras the same piano receiving frequent tunings during the first two years
will be a much more stable instrument...even after being neglected for the
following two years...huh?
 Maybe what we really are discussing are 'unstable customers' :-)

Jim Bryant (FL)
"I have my own little world. But it's OK... they know me here."