Jet powertools

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:58:30 -0600

David,

A year ago, I purchased a Jet 17" drill press from the local Rockler
Woodworking store.  Selected it because I used one in a colleague's shop
and thought it was a very well-made machine.   Evidently they have been
lowering the quality as they move manufacturing from one low-labor-cost
country to the next.  My drill press had/still has an unacceptable level of
vibration, at any spindle speed, but getting progressively worse as spindle
speed is increased.  Disappointment #1:  owners manual says don't take
wraranty issues to the retailer, call this toll-free number.
Disappointment #2:  the toll-free number folks sent a "machinist" out to
troubleshoot the problem, he didn't even have a dial indicator with him.  I
had told them that my motor pulley had over 0.010" of rounout, he brought a
replacement pulley which he had not checked, it had more runout than the
original.   Disappointment #3:  There's been a lot of telephone calls, some
replacement parts sent out for me to install, but bottom line is it still
is vibrating at an unacceptable level.

hope this helps

Mike