Fw: Short Treble (sustain?)

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:52:23 +1100

At 9:58 PM +0000 4/11/03, Michael Gamble wrote:

>Why not see what response your observations get from
>Grotrian-Steinweg themselves?

The recapping job I mentioned was undertaken back in 1989. I have
observed since then, many other instruments from the same manufacture
with similarly inappropriate bridge pin spacing (often with the
resultant elongated or completely collapsed bridge pin holes).
Furthermore, with regard to the piano repair in question, the
intention originally was to recap the treble bridge only. After
re-cutting the notching and re-drilling the bass bridge in
preparation for the oversize bridge pins, we found that the front and
rear pins (in the bichord section) were running into each other
towards the bottom of the bridge pins holes. To explain further,
while driving the back scale pins they were running into the speaking
length pins somewhere below the bridge cap.

I was absolutely less than impressed at the time. Since we had to
turn around and recap the bass bridge and re-position the back row of
pins to cure the problem. If a factory, which lays claim to making a
quality piano, can't even get the bridge pin field laid out so that
the pins don't run into each other below the bridge cap, I can't see
the point in contacting them to tell them about it. After all, most
messengers usually get shot, and what would a small time piano
re-builder down in the colonies know about the problem anyhow?

>Do you mean Model 220? Or should it be Model 225?

The Grotrian seven foot class of grand piano in the early '70's was a
220. A 223 was released sometime after 1975 (my first year working
with pianos).

>  I have a superb 225 on my rounds and have been corresponding with
>Grotrian on the subject of a 10 year service/regulation.

The 225 is a later piano again. Would you measure the bridge pin
spacing, in the highest treble string section, between the outside
unisons (centre to centre) next time you see it? I'd be interested to
know if they are still building them the same way.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers