Voicing out of the piano?

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:45:00 -0600

Andrew,

Get yourself a stick of chalk and a cloth for erasing the chalk.  Remove the
fallboard & keyslip, but keep the keyblocks handy to make sure the action
gets placed correctly.  As you play through the piano, develop your own set
of markings that tell you how much or what you want to do each note.  A good
way to approach is to take care of the most obvious problems first.  So you
mark the keys, slide out the action (rest it on your lap & the keybed, if
you don't have one of those supports that you attach to the keybed), voice
(be sure to support the hammers),  slide the action back in, put the
keyblocks in to make sure the action is in place, test what you have done.
Edit your markings. Slide out, voice, etc. until you're satisfied.

This isn't a job that is recommend if you've just cracked a rib.  Well,
that's been my experience, anyway.  :-)

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL