Fw: "training" pianos?

Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:42:30 -0000

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Carman Gentile=20
To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 2:04 AM
Subject: "training" pianos?=20

see bottom:

...The client told me that thier piano didn't stay in tune for very long =
and that the previous tuner had told her that it was probably because =
she didn't have it tuned regularly when she first got it. (This piano =
had not been tuned for over a year after they first got it.) Their tuner =
said that it hadn't been "trained" properly, and it would never hold a =
tune very well...=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=20
   My own experience is that the more regularly a piano is tuned, the =
more stable the tuning remains between service appointments.  It is as =
though the instrument has formed it's tuning the same way a pair of =
shoes forms to our feet.  How this happens exactly, I do not know but we =
do know that there are tremendous forces occurring within a piano, even =
when it is at rest.  The tension of the strings against the bridges and =
soundboard, the forces between the soundboard edges and case rim, and =
the influences of changes in temperature and humidity all combine =
(somehow) to affect the piano's anatomy and physiology. It seems to me =
that when we add our own influence to the string tensions when tuning, =
this has the effect of "training" or molding the instrument to stabilize =
more readily to its correct tuning.  I have not found the right choice =
of words to use to explain this to my clients.=20

   I have used the analogy that a neglected piano is like an =
ill-mannered child with a strong will.  It takes repeated corrective =
measures to get it to stay on the right path. =20
   May I suggest that the above tuner's explanation may not have been =
too much B.S. after all, but just his own effort to illustrate the =
necessity of regular tunings.

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter=20

-------

-------

Hello Carman
There's another aspect to this as well: A piano reacts best to being =
tuned by ONE tuner. Another tuner stepping in there CAN destabilise a =
piano by the way he/she tunes. Yes?  :-)
Regards
Michael G (UK