Fw: Fw: Short Treble (sustain?)/Grotrian 225 top bk bdg pin spacing

Wed, 5 Nov 2003 21:00:37 -0000

Re: Fw: Short Treble (sustain?)
----- Original Message -----=20
From: Overs Pianos=20
To: Pianotech=20
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Short Treble (sustain?)

At 9:58 PM +0000 4/11/03, Michael Gamble wrote:

  Why not see what response your observations get from Grotrian-Steinweg =
themselves?
        Ron Overs replied:

The recapping job I mentioned was undertaken back in 1989. I have =
observed since then, many other instruments from the same manufacture =
with similarly inappropriate bridge pin spacing (often with the =
resultant elongated or completely collapsed bridge pin holes). =
Furthermore, with regard to the piano repair in question, the intention =
originally was to recap the treble bridge only. After re-cutting the =
notching and re-drilling the bass bridge in preparation for the oversize =
bridge pins, we found that the front and rear pins (in the bichord =
section) were running into each other towards the bottom of the bridge =
pins holes. To explain further, while driving the back scale pins they =
were running into the speaking length pins somewhere below the bridge =
cap.

I was absolutely less than impressed at the time. Since we had to turn =
around and recap the bass bridge and re-position the back row of pins to =
cure the problem. If a factory, which lays claim to making a quality =
piano, can't even get the bridge pin field laid out so that the pins =
don't run into each other below the bridge cap, I can't see the point in =
contacting them to tell them about it. After all, most messengers =
usually get shot, and what would a small time piano re-builder down in =
the colonies know about the problem anyhow?

  Do you mean Model 220? Or should it be Model 225?

The Grotrian seven foot class of grand piano in the early '70's was a =
220. A 223 was released sometime after 1975 (my first year working with =
pianos).

   I have a superb 225 on my rounds and have been corresponding with =
Grotrian on the subject of a 10 year service/regulation.

The 225 is a later piano again. Would you measure the bridge pin =
spacing, in the highest treble string section, between the outside =
unisons (centre to centre) next time you see it? I'd be interested to =
know if they are still building them the same way.

Ron O.

-------

Hello Ron O. Yes. I will take my 1/64" depth rule (which I usually use =
for measuring string heights in Grands) and measure the top break bridge =
pin spacing. I next see this piano on Friday 28th. November to prepare =
it for a recital by Leon MacAulay.
Interestingly I just did its first 10yr. action regulation on it a =
couple of weeks ago and found the key dip was down to 9mm and the =
hammer-rise almost non-existent. When new, the hammer-rise was fast and =
furious!!! so I strengthened all the double-winged jack springs, put =
0.3mm paper punchings under every balance rail pin washer, then adjusted =
the set-off and let-offs. There had been complaints from Susan Tomes (in =
particular) of the "non-responsiveness" of this 225. We shall see. It =
has no spring assists as the playing weight was specified to be 50gms.
I am horrified to hear of your findings in that G-S 220 where the =
speaking bridge pins are touching the duplex bridge pins =
"subcutaneously"! I shall have to measure the bridge-width (distance =
between the front-back pins) as well I think, and mic. up the bridge =
pins if I can get at them with the micrometer. Then you can tell us your =
opinion on this newer beastie. :-)

  Regards
  Michael G (UK)