Geo. Steck upright

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 03:29:12 -0700

Subject: Re: Geo. Steck upright

 nickel-plated windings

> > More likely pure iron. There were also quite a few pianos built with
> copper
> > plated iron, presumably to help cut down on the rust. I don't recall ever
> > seeing nickel or nickel plated wraps.
 > > Del

    . . . . just something a salesman told me once.  I had no reason to question it and nickel sounded reasonable.  Why doesn't the iron turn rust-color?  The old uprights I've seen with the non-copper windings, and I think some WW II - era consoles & spinets have windings that are sort of a whitish-gray color, looking a bit like unpolished steel or even aluminum.

<<Dave,
<<You're not entirely correct here. First the "nickle-plated windings..." is
<<incorrect. The windings were Silver/Nickle plated.
<<  (Joseph Garrett)

    That explains it.  Thanks for the info.  I guess plain iron would be on really old pianos (squares, etc.)

    --David Nereson, RPT