Yamaha hammers

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 10:57:42 EST

In a message dated 11/6/2003 3:08:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
davner@kaosol.net writes:
    Is that indeed what's happening in a hammer with lots of tension -- like
bending a rope sharply, then hacking at the top of the bend with a knife,
gradually cutting the fibers and making it pull apart?
    --David Nereson, RPT

   Hi Dave
   Having sliced & diced many Hammers looking for tension I've never found
Yamaha hammers to have any. If there was tension, meaning that the felt was
stretched around the molding during pressing the when you cut the felt open it
should blossom like a flower opening. Does that make sense? To me it does.
     I used to do this routinely when Bob Davis & I were teaching a voicing
class. We'd cut the felt open from the top thru the strike point & on most
hammers virtually nothing happened. zip. You could super glue the felt back
together & put it back in the piano. kidding.
    The other way to demo this is to cut them open is on the band saw. Cut up
thru the molding with the blade cutting up under the strike point. If there
is tension the hammers should spring apart. I've seen 2 hammers demonstrate
tension. The most active one is  The Ronsen & the other the Isaac Hammer
 Nutones had a little bit & every thing else was zip. Try it.
  So I don't know why the Yam hammers are tearing apart but it's not tension.
  Perhaps its the wool being weakened by over bleaching or processing.
  Dale