Yamaha hammers

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 06 Nov 2003 20:04:40 -0600

>But Ron, my question still remains. Why should it be necessary to stab
>ANY hammer that many times to get a decent sound. IMHO, if that's the
>case, the hammer isn't being "pressed" correctly! Wrong?
>
>OK, I'll go to bed now and behave myself!
>
>Avery

I agree completely, Avery, but you can't call anything "wrong" on this
list. It's a rule of some sort. So we consider thousand jab needling to be
a voicing technique that is reserved for that special category of hammers
that have apparently been quarried rather than manufactured, and yet must
be brought somewhere near the edge of usability by whatever means we have
available to us.  As far as I'm concerned, if the manufacturer didn't want
the piano to sound like a Xylophone on steroids, they would have put on a
decent hammer in the first place.

Ron N