OOheeee! An Increadible find. Need info please

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 14:21:25 -0800

An amazing find here, I almost can't believe this one...

Yesterday I received a phone call from a lady who says she has a friend =
who is trying to find a home for her piano.  I ask what it is and her =
only  answer is "I don't know, just an old piano". She gives me the =
first name of her friend and the number.  Naturally the first thing that =
comes to mind is an old PSO upright that should be burned.  So what the =
heck, I call.

She says that she is moving this weekend and she needs to get this piano =
out immediately.  Again I ask what it is.  "I don't know, just a big =
grand" she says.  (Okay getting somewhere, it least it isn't an old =
upright).  Then she says it's 100 years old and it doesn't play.  (Here =
we go again).  Almost reluctantly I agree to swing by and take a look.  =
The lady lives in one of the worst neighborhoods in Las Vegas, the type =
of which you don't dare walk around at night without packing a Smith & =
Wesson.

I knock on the door and it's this little old lady.  She explains that =
she is moving to Texas and didn't know what to do with the piano.  She =
doesn't want any money for it, just wants to get it out of the house =
immediately, period.  I walk in and almost fall over... What is it?  How =
about an original Broadwood!!!!!!!  I'm talking historic!  It could =
possibly even qualify as a forte-piano.  Read on...

The case features hand carved legs and fancy lyre, numerous carved =
curves and edges, some accent carved lace on the music rack, all =
original and intact.  Even the original strings.  The fallboard reads =
the following elaborately carved into an ivory plaque, (much nicer than =
this font, just so you get the idea):

PATENT
John BRoadwood & Sons
Makers To His Majesty & Princess
Great Pileney Street, Golden Square
London

Now for the details:
Serial number reads #643.  This places it at about 1843.  The Pierce =
book describes it as a "Cottage Grand"

The piano measures 6 feet and 6-1/2 inches long.

It is 4 feet 1/4 inch across the front rim.

It has 6 -1/2 octaves measuring 3 feet and 7-1/2 inches wide.

The original ivory is in remarkable shape, all intact but significant =
wear.

The tuning pins are the original oval hammered and tapered type, very =
primitive looking.  The exposed pin block is split badly.

The plate (if you can call it that), is light weight and made up of five =
independent sections all held together with screws.  It does not make =
direct contact the pin block.

The beams on the bottom are very light weight.  They look like about =
3"X3".

Rather than agraffs or a capo the strings pass through a continuous =
brass rail that extends all the way across the pin block.

There are two strings per note including the bass strings.  The bass =
strings may be steel wound, I need to look closer at this.

The rim is made up of four sections.  The tail piece is curved part way =
and the other sections are rounded with a miter joint concealed below =
the veneer to make it appear as if it were one piece.

The legs are round and nicely hand carved.  They are attached via a =
threaded wood dowel through the bottom.

The lyre is made to really look like a lyre.  There are two pedals, both =
wood.

The bridges are very delicate and narrow.  There is a separate bass =
bridge which meets up to the treble bridge at a nearly right angle.

The sound board grain goes cross-wise.  There are about a dozen cracks =
but still all glued, no loose ribs that I noticed

The action is amazing.  I have not had the opportunity to pull it out =
yet.  Let-off is adjusted by big oval pins which look similar to the =
tuning pins.  The hammers are very tiny and delicate as are the dampers. =
 I will know much more when I pull it out.

The biggest concern structurally that I can see is that the spine side, =
(lid hinge side), is slightly bent outward.  I would guess that this was =
caused by tension and probably occurred over 100 years ago.  The veneer =
is in remarkable shape considering it's age but will still require =
substantial repair.  Most of the damage is on the tail which appears as =
if it might have been against a radiator sometime in it's life.

So the little old lady just wants it out and she wants it out now!  She =
isn't looking for money.  Alan Meyer and I rushed over at about 7:30 AM =
this morning, packed it up, and headed to the opposite end of town to my =
garage where it sits now.  To ward off any guilt I gave the lady a =
little money toward her moving expenses.  She was delighted and gave me =
a big hug as if I were her grandson, she couldn't have been happier.

SO....  There are the basics, I hope to have some more details soon.  My =
question right now is can anyone provide some general insight about this =
piano's value?  I presume this instrument has more museum value than =
musical value and would look nice behind velvet ropes.  I'm still trying =
to believe this actually happened all in about 18 hours from the initial =
phone call and didn't cost me anything except my little "thank you" =
money I gave her on my way out the door.  Comments, info anyone =
please...

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV