Accu-Tuner ad

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 03:16:27 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

>  I don't see how it's possible to tune
> good unisons visually, at least with the existing processing and displays.
>
> Ron N

Sure it is... its just too time consuming to be productive. And thats largely
because we only can view one partial at a time. Verituners conglomerate
perspective might just confuse it, depending on how exactly its programmed.
But what we hear is no more then the mesh of individual coincidents, along
with whatever anomolies incurred in each single string. You go back and forth
enough times with a single partial display, and get enough experience under
your belt in solving that problem this way... and you can get as good a unison
as is possible... ofte times better then the ear / mind resolves too. I do
this quite frequently on base unisons that have a wild single. A multi partial
display would allow you to reference one string with all its useable partials,
and then compare its mate to the reference. A bit of practice and you would be
able to see clearly developing patterns as to what sounds best visa vi what
you are looking at. Much in the same sense that Jim Coleman speaks of needing
to get a feel for how far into the sustain of a note you need to go if you are
useing an ETD to listen. That varies from register to register, and really on
the kind of attack and decay pattern you see unveil itself.

I am convinced the next generation of ETD's will move in this direction, and I
am also convinced it will open a lot of those "aha" doors in a lot of tuners
minds.

Cheers
RicB

--