MC gage experiment

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 06:39:25 -0500

And you know, my limp expansion gauge hasn't recovered yet.

Having graduated from building measuring jigs to building building jigs, =
I haven't even tried to replace my failed endeavor. What I have done =
instead - and I'm quite happy with the results - is to simply measure =
the size of the panel, cross-grain.

To ensure accuracy of measurement, I tap in a very small nail into the =
panel near one edge where the panel is widest. I use one of my scale =
measuring tapes that David Sanderson or Jim Arledge issues for measuring =
string scales. I place the tape end loop around the nail (this ensures =
end placement accuracy) and measure to the nicely squared opposite panel =
edge (put a pencil mark to repeat measuring spot).=20

My shop is kept at a consistent 45% to 50% RH. So I know my spruce =
panel's EMC is real close to 8.5%. I put the panel in the hot box =
targeting around 6% EMC (adjusting heat to keep the RH just below 30%). =
I measure the panel daily. Within a week the panel stabilizes. I let the =
hot box RH go up to 30% and watch for a little bump upwards in the panel =
width as the panel goes from something a little less than 6.5% back up =
to 6.5% or so. That way I am doubly sure the panel's MC did indeed =
stabilize.

Across a typical width panel I will observe about a 2.5 millimeter =
reduction in width during the course of drying from 8.5% MC to 6% MC. So =
yes, you need to interpolate tenths of millimeters, but with a big =
magnifying glass this is doable.

Works for me. But I also think your idea is great.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----=20