MC gage experiment

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sat, 08 Nov 2003 12:02:42 -0600

>And you know, my limp expansion gauge hasn't recovered yet.

And never will. Altogether a pretty good demonstration of principal on the
destructive effects of compression crowning on the panel.

>Having graduated from building measuring jigs to building building jigs, I
>haven't even tried to replace my failed endeavor. What I have done instead
>- and I'm quite happy with the results - is to simply measure the size of
>the panel, cross-grain.

You didn't graduate, you just got temporarily diverted. We never outgrow
our need for inventing and building keen toys.

>Across a typical width panel I will observe about a 2.5 millimeter
>reduction in width during the course of drying from 8.5% MC to 6% MC. So
>yes, you need to interpolate tenths of millimeters, but with a big
>magnifying glass this is doable.

And if it works for you without a down side, it works fine.

Ron N