smooth delicate and creamy

Sat, 8 Nov 2003 20:57:13 -0000

Hello Don Rose
I wonder if I might take you up on on item?
You wrote:
"Probably the big "mistake" is that you are trying to pitch correct too
much. Next time you tune a piano that is mere 4 cents flat (at A4)--take
the time to measure A3, A4, A5, and A6 after you have finished. I suspect
you will find they are not where you placed them originally."

With this I completely agree! Mark it dear readers!

"Then next mistake may be that you are pounding too hard on the notes. Learn
to tune softly."

With this I completely and utterly dis-agree!
Why?
The next person who plays harder than you tuned it will knock it out of
tune. Who's to know "he" hasn't got a lumberjack for a friend? One of our
reps is the hardest player I've ever heard - he breaks strings on Yams -
he's like a whole orchestra in the Pit (which is what he's supposed to be!)
yet only because I tune harder than he plays is the piano still in tune
after a week of such treatment!
Now... shoot me down in flames if you like but (as someone else said) I am
what I am and he is what he is. And my tuning doesn't wander in the middle
of an LPO recording session either - so that's something in my favour!
BTW IU use a "T" hammer for grands.
Regards ;-)
Michael G (UK) must get my five-year-old into bed now in Sussex-by-the-Sea