how to clean the ivory key from yellow to white

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:31:48 +0100

Hello, that is a new to me : hydrochloric acid. - never hear of such, is it
the same as chloridric acid ? if it is the same it is probably not adequate
(a mistake ?).

While bleach (hydrogen peroxide 30% vol or Perhydrol) works, could it be
better ?  If the pore opening and the grayish coloration that can occur if
too much exposure with  hydrogen peroxys ("eau oxygénée" in French) is
limited with hydrochloric acid, that should be nice.

Many good quality ivories are often back to a whiter state only with
sanding.

Nowadays you have to sand finely (400 - 600- 800)  the ivory after
application if you want them to buff well (even if you don't bleach it
sanding allow for a better buffing)

Sanding is easily done with an orbital sander laying on its side (care to
have a flat hard sanding plate or the angles will suffer).

To white an ivory is not good looking anyway I say what count is the veins
and the look and feel. I obtained some keys that where so nicely whitened
they look like ... plastic. so don't overdo that .

Best Regards.

                       Pianomania

                        Isaac OLEG
                        accordeur - reparateur - concert  19 rue Jules Ferry
                        94400 VITRY sur SEINE
                        oleg-i@noos.fr  tel:
                              fax:
                              mobile:  033 01 47 18 06 98
                              33 01 47 18 06 90
                              033 06 60 42 58 77

            Powered by Plaxo Want a signature like this?