on becoming a piano tech

Brad Selves bselves@sympatico.ca
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:54:42 -0500

I'm contemplating a career change into Piano Tech and would love it if =
you Technicians/Tuners (what do you usually call yourselves?) could give =
me some insight into the career choice and business.

Although I think this career would be a great fit with me (grew up =
playing piano, love working with my hands, have made guitars & =
furniture, like being self-employed), I want to know this is a viable =
career before I quit my job to go back to school for this.

So having said this, my questions are these (for now):

Is there demand for Piano Techs? Is demand growing/shrinking/stable?
Where is the demand? Is it =
private/institutions/stores/manufacturers/somewhere else?
What is a reasonable range of annual income? What about starting out? I =
live in Southwestern Ontario, Canada if it makes a difference?
Would you recommend this career?
Do you have any other answers to questions you think I should be asking =
but haven't?

Thanks for your considerations in advance.