how to clean the ivory key from yellow to white

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:02:26 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Burns" <peter-burns.pianotuner@tesco.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 8:01 AM
Subject: Re: how to clean the ivory key from yellow to white

Greetings list, I'm with Dave Nereson on this one Ken.  Hydrochloric acid, a flourescent strip light and lots of patience are needed to whiten ivory.  I use one strip bulb, which must be left on all the time including overnight.  Arrange the keys underneath the light and apply the acid with cotton wool several times a day.  It can take a week or two depending on how yellow your keys are.
When they are done, buff the key tops with a buffing wheel if possible, to make them shine.  Do not get any acid on your skin, so wear gloves.  In the UK you can only get the acid from a chemist, who will want some proof of what it will be used for.  Good luck.

    Hydrochloric acid or hydrogen peroxide?  I would think even a weak solution would eat away at the surface of the key and make it pitted.  The method in the Journal article is essentially the same as yours, but using cheesecloth instead of cotton wool (an oxymoron? -- you mean the fake cotton they use in vitamin bottles, bandages, jewelry boxes, etc.?), and hydrogen peroxide instead of acid.
    --Dave N.