Yamaha hammers-voicing pliers

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:43:34 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Erwinspiano@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 7:16 PM
Subject: Re: Yamaha hammers-voicing pliers

> In a message dated 11/6/2003 11:54:13 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:
> Does anyone use "voicing pliers"? I haven't, but it seems like they could
> work well, and speed up the process by needling BOTH shoulders at once. I
> seem to recall Schaff (or one of the other supply houses)  stocking them a
> while back, but then discontinued the item; I wonder if it was due to weak
> sales, or inherent problems with the tool itself.
>
> Terry Peterson
>    Terry
>    There called voicegrips.There right next to the black powder & blasting
> caps in the hardware or I''ll sell you some.grin
>   Dale

    They're  (they are) right next to .....    Vice squad.  Gambling, whoring are vices.  Vice president.  But things are clamped in a vise.  Vise Grips.  Get a grip on your vices.  Sorry, but really now. . . .

    The "voicing pliers" I've heard of were not ViseGrips, but more like parallel pliers with a bump on the jaws.  If you cut a small steel ball (a little bigger than a B-B) in half and glued the flat side to the face of the plier jaws, you'd have it. (Or drill depressions and glue a whole B-B in each jaw).  I think they're
 meant to be used by squeezing the flat sides of the hammer, in which case they wouldn't work in the high treble because the felt wouldn't be thick enough to squeeze.  I've never used them myself, however.  I've heard of techs making their own by modifying other types of pliers.  --David Nereson, RPT