Steel/Jig Strength

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:30:27 -0800 (PST)

Terry,
  There is a place in Seattle called "Metal Shorts"
that carries remnants, etc.  (The name always makes me
think that metal shorts would be a little
uncomfortable and chilly in the winter.)
  But to the point, Glen is right in that lighter
pieces with angular supports can be stronger.  The
trusses in the roof structures of newer warehouse type
buildings are often designed this way.
  Also, if a small I-beam isn't available, you can use
two light channels welded or bolted back to back for
more vertical support.
  Not an engineer, but I've been around steel, etc.
quite a bit.

Dave Davis
Renton, WA