Machines, again, (was Accu-Tuner ad)

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:13:04 -0500

Good point you make about China, Ed. And: aren't there something like 15
major concert venues in Tokyo? (Or more?). A high percentage of students in
American conservatories and music schools are Asian.

If I had to guess, I'd expect that acoustic music in general (in all genres,
not just classical) will probably maintain the sort of small but consistent
support base that Apple (for example) does with it's computers. Only 3% of
computer owners use Apple, but those who do are passionate about them. Isn't
that about the percentage of classical CD's sold - or something similarly
low?

I'd like to think (hope?) that new music technologies are expanding the
palette of our listening experiences, rather than attenuating or replacing
them. I'm often struck by the beauty and expressiveness of many new movie
scores that incorporate electronic instruments. Originally scores were all
acoustic performances, of course. We can still hear those in movies, but now
all kinds of new and interesting electric sounds as well.

Although the world IS becoming "virtualized" (as Richard points out) at a
great rate, I can't help but think that there will always be people around
who want to play acoustic instruments. The physical act is such an important
part of the equation (eg., blowing through a horn rather than playing a
sample of one at a keyboard). I guess a crucial question is whether there
will be enough acoustic players to sustain the kind of support for the
instruments that's necessary to keep skills like ours alive.

Analog electric instruments certainly expanded the listening possibilities,
yet didn't render classical music obsolete, so maybe digital electric
instruments won't either. But I agree with Richard that prediction is
dangerous.

I don't know what's gotten into me - I'm not usually such an optimist! :(

Best regards,

Allen Wright