Acrylique lacquer history

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:06:28 +0100

Hello,

I like to know when the first water based (acryl based) lacquers have
been employed.

A search on Goggle gives me a site where the plastic polymers where
developed since 1862 for cellulose & celluloid, 1909 for bakelite ,
but polystyrene , acryl polymers  and vinyl polychorure PVA ?), have
been developed since the 30's (Nylon : 1928) polyurethane's (P.U) ,
polyester and epoxy beginning in the 40's.

Id like to understand the chances of US made pianos (1940 )to be using
water based lacquer for soundboards.

Does someone have this information , I also like to understand what
should mean "DD based lacquer" (talking about a Bosendorfer grand from
the 70's)

Who is using water based lacquer on soundboard, what are the results,
is the film hard and thin ?

Thanks to all chemical minded people.

Isaac OLEG
accordeur - reparateur - concert