MC gage experiment

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:16:18 EST

In a message dated 11/11/2003 3:29:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
David initially asked about quick drying methods. I think monitoring weight
and/or panel width are fine methods, but I also think it is advisable to be
patient and give the system a little extra time to be sure you have reached your
target EMC. Employing two of these methods would be good insurance. If you are
really trying to do this quickly - like you've got a tight production
schedule - IMHO, you need a system like Ron O's and some real good, properly used,
electronic equipment to accurately monitor the process. There is much known
about kiln drying wood. If you want to keep it simple, and I think any low-volume
shop can do that, you need to give a panel a week or two to dry and stabilize
in most situations.

Terry Farrell

         Terry
  Good advice. Also If your using the electronic temp/R.H. gauge & checking
your sheet that tells what M.C. is reached at a given temp & R.H. it doesn't
take long to get a feel for when things are dry enough or in the exceptable
target range for rib pressing to begin. My box has a small electric fan set on low
when I'm drying down to circulate air around the panel insuring uniform
drying. I consider a week plenty of time to dry down a panel for pressing unless
the panel was in a swamp.
   Dale