Your quadrant system

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:29:02 -0000

Hello Jean-Luc
you said:
" You say for a piano that's a half step flat you set the A=3D445 . Then =
what would you do if the piano is 50 cents flat of your target "
You have to "play all this by ear" as it were. The object of this system =
is to spread the load equally over the whole piano at all times - rather =
than tensioning it up chromatically. So view your specimen piano with a =
jaundiced eye and tell it "I'm going to get you to pitch" ;-)
The ETD I use for this exercise is a cheapo one with a meter calibrated =
+ or - 50cents. This will tell you how much the piano is flat. Then I =
set the meter to Zero on A=3D446, or 445, or whatever, and go on from =
there. For each 10 cents the piano is flat I raise the first quadrant 1 =
Hz. So if the piano is 60 cents flat I start my 8ves. at 446Hz. then =
fill in with the quadrants (by ear and 8ves) then go down a whole tone =
to the next quadrant and do that in the same way but this time to, say, =
445. Next I go up a tone-and-a-half and that would be 443 Then finally =
down a tone to the last quadrant and tension it up to 441. Do you see =
what I'm doing here? Start on the B quadrant, then the A quadrant then =
the A# quadrant and finally the G# quadrant. Point is, obviously you =
tension up the whole note - all three, or two, or single strings, =
otherwise the system becomes incredibly cumbersome. You only need one =
wedge for all of this. And you use the ETD on all 8ves throughout the =
range of the piano. This gives you that all-important "outside =
reference" not being affected by the changes in tension within the =
piano. What more can I say? I developed the system. It works (at least =
it does for me) and it'll work for you too.
Regards
Michael G (UK)