More on the Broadwood piano

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:39:49 -0500

Rob,

David Winston, of Period Pianos in Kent, England restored this last
Beethoven piano that's been mentioned. I got to know David when he spent a
couple of weeks in residence at Oberlin a few years ago doing repair work o=
an old Erard that he had sold to the Conservatory. He's a fine fellow, and
I'm sure would be able to offer you some interesting and useful insights
into the Broadwood. I believe that he's restored lots of them.

http://www.periodpiano.com/tradition.htm

I believe it's quite common for the older Broadwoods to suffer from serious
warping of the case due to a lack of sufficient structural strength to
support string tension over the long period of time we're talking about.
It's something restorers have to deal with in these pianos. We had one of
these instruments at Oberlin and it was a classic case of this problem. It
was unuseable in it's unrestored condition.

I also seem to recall that there are more of these old Broadwoods floating
around than one might expect: if memory serves, I believe David told me tha=
Broadwood was making something like 5,000 pianos a year in their heyday.

Best regards,

Allen Wright