More on the Broadwood piano

David's Email ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:56:38 -0800

Re: More on the Broadwood pianoThe Broadwood I work on is 9 ft. and has =
the dampers under the strings.  I noticed Rob's are on top.  I wonder =
when the change was made?

David I.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Rob Goodale=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 5:04 PM
  Subject: Re: More on the Broadwood piano

  Yes indeed.  There is some measurable warp on the spine, (lid hinge), =
side.  Not sure how structurally devastating it is.  There is no bracing =
on the bass side at all other than the rim itself.  There are only two =
steel braces parallel to the strings in the entire piano, one at the =
bass break and one before the high treble.  There is no plate in the =
sense that we would think of one today.  The hitch pins are inserted in =
what I believe is called a "hitch pin plate", but because it is on the =
outside bend of a straight strung piano I don't think there is a =
tremendous amount of vertical support.  It doesn't even make contact =
with the pin block.

  Rob Goodale, RPT
  Las Vegas, NV
    I believe it's quite common for the older Broadwoods to suffer from =
serious warping of the case due to a lack of sufficient structural =
strength to support string tension over the long period of time we're =
talking about. It's something restorers have to deal with in these =
pianos. We had one of these instruments at Oberlin and it was a classic =
case of this problem. It was unuseable in it's unrestored condition.