Temperamental temparament octave

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:00:26 -0600

Jim,

Step 11, C# has already been tuned in step 5, should this be reversed, i.e. G#48 from C#41?

Regarding the flat C40 and busy fifth to F45:  Make sure in step 5 that you've really "balanced pivotal thirds"; this will confirm you picked the right speed for F33.  Your  3rd and 6ths checks should then refer back to these 5 notes as much as possible.   Also, C should fit into the F-F octave with the fifth slightly slower than the fourth, as should the E in the A-A octave.  Make sure these intervals are not "inverted" (wide fifth/narrow fourth).  If these 4ths and 5ths are close, and the CE 3rd is way off, the pivotal thirds are not balanced.

Easier said than done.

hope this helps,

Mike Spalding
More checks and corrections than temperament steps, by far.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Morrison
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 11/11/2003 9:36:36 PM
Subject: Temperamental temparament octave

Thanks for the reply Phil.Hope Jim C. won't mind this.Here is the progression:
1) A49 to fork
2) A37 from A49
3)F33 from A37   7bps
4)F45 from F33
5)C#41 from F45 ...  balancing pivotal thirds
6)D42 fromA37 (4th)
7)A#38 fromF45  (5th)
8)F#46 from C#41 (4th)
9)C40 from F45 (4th)
10)E44 from A49 (4th)     this is where I encounter my problem?
11)C#41 fromG#48 (5th)
12)B39 from F#46 (5th)
13)D#43 from A#38 (4th)
14)G47 fromD42

Hope this helps to clarify my original post

Jim Morrison
More questions than answers