stringing scales

Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:09:53 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stéphane Collin" <collin.s@skynet.be>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: November 12, 2003 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: stringing scales

> Del,
>
> Perhaps you know this alreaddy, but there is a fantastic study about this
:
> "The stringing, scaling and pitch of hammerflügel built in the southern
german and viennese traditions (1780-1820)" by Michael Latcham.  This is
Band 34 from Musikwissenschaftliche Schriften, published by Musikverlag
Katzbichler - München - Salzburg.  There is volume I : text and volume II :
tables and graphs.
> Don't worry, the text is in english.  It is an exhaustive survey of all
known original pianofortes by Hofman, Stein, Streicher and Walter, with
full scaling information, speculative gauge data following period and
place, and desing features and their evolution.  Very nice work, very
instructive.

> Regards,
>
> Stéphane Collin.

Thanks. And it's available from where? Any place online that you know of? I
doubt this work will be showing up in any book store near me any time soon.
Or on Amazon.com for that.

And then there are the transitional instruments built from 1820 up to about
1870. I've studied enough pianos from 1870 on to have a pretty good idea of
what was going with them. It's those transitional instruments that remain a
question.

Del