Montal - was:Re: an old broadwood

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:47:27 -0600

Allen,

At 09:51 11/13/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>I gave a chapter technical on the sostenuto pedal a few years back and in my
>research came up with the fact that Claude Montal invented the sostenuto
>pedal in 1864 in Paris, which was then improved upon and patented by
>Steinway in this country in 1875.

>I'd like to know more about this blind inventor and piano builder.
>Allen Wright

The following book might give you some insight into the man:

Montal, Claude

L'Art d'accorder soimeme son piano, d'apres une methode pure, simple et
facile, deduite des principles exactes de l'acoustique et de l'harmonie.
         J. Meissonier Paris 1836/Minkoff Geneva 1976

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is
what you get from not reading it.