Winter Blues

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:54:53 -0000

Hello Avery Todd et al.
You wrote:
"Many of us "older" techs have paid a LOT of bills with all those "plastic"
parts!
Thankfully, I no longer have to worry about that. Been there, done that!
:-) I'll refer them to someone who's trying to make a living being
self-employed!"

I am self-employed. Who, in this profession, is not? And if not, why not?
BUT.... if you ever come across an Irish upright called "Lindner" RUN
AWAY!! -   F A S T ! !
This piano is the ultimate disaster zone. Let's start with the frame:
Square/Oblong tubular welded construction. The strings: Bicord - vertically
strung. The KEYS (Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!... Hmmm. . ..) excuse me. They are hollow
PLASTIC!! The key-frame? Tubular metal with extruded alloy  balance rail.
The balance pins: Non-existent....??? !! What Lindner did was develop a
spring (from a clock-work motor I suppose) which was about 3/4" long. One
end was buried in a sort of ferrule inserted into the under-side of the key,
and the other end inserted into a plastic sort of
push-into-the-balance-rail-and-move-sideways-to-align block. OK until you
wanted to remove to replace the spring - and then it invariably broke. But
read on! The key-frame is also the key-bed and is pivoted at the tail end so
it can be dropped totally into the cavity behind the knee board. (remove
upright trap-work first - which rods, by the way, are alloy with small
walking stick type ferrules at each end.) Now the action.... how to describe
this? The only wood in it is the hammer core and shank. The rest is shaped
alloy or moulded plastic. The bridle is fine nylon braid terminating in a
cap which fits on the end of the bridle wire - itself merely a  part of the
check wire which has been separated by tin-snips. The Butts are plastic
moulded with plastic flanges throughout. The main action rail is extruded
alloy and the flanges are like the key balance rail blocks - align the
hammer (if you dare!) by sliding the blocks in a suitable direction. The
damper bodies are alloy with more plastic blocks fitting into their own slot
in the main action frame. The damper slap-rail is alloy with a slice of felt
glued along the appropriate side. This is screwed to the alloy action
standards by sheet-metal screws. The whole action may be removed by
unclipping self-locking levers - one at each end of the action. To replace
simply push in until you hear a satisfying click from the levers. Regulating
the touch is by means of plastic "grub" screws accessed under the key frame.
Now the case-work: Veneered MDF. WOW!  - I mean WOW!! I think, judging by
the welded frame, the piano must have been designed and built by an Irish
farmer. He built up quite a factory and the story goes that when he went
into liquidation (who's suprised?) he paid off his work-force in pianos.
The biggest headache is, of course, the plastic parts which are, by now, all
brittle. As an experiment I once had one of these given to me and I replaced
the keyboard (the worst Achilles heel) with a bespoke keyboard - then
promptly sold the beast and bought me Broadwood cottage grand No 857......
:-)
Regards
Michael G (UK) in dusky Sussex Downs. Maxim, my son, is 6 tomorrow.