Making a soundboard-S&S L board

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:29:10 EST

In a message dated 11/13/2003 6:59:10 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Crashvalve@aol.com writes:
In a message dated 11/13/03 1:32:52 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

What do I mean? This will answer Crashvalves question as well. When
pre-stressing a board with good legitimate crown values as I described, it does require
having the plate in and secured with bolts & screws. Enough so that when
driving the maple wedges between the struts and the bridge tops it (the plate)
doesn't flex
Dale
Well drat, I was hoping you were talking about iterating some trigonometry
that would use the string scale and degrees of downbearing and yield a down
bearing in pounds. This then loaded onto the bridge to test board deflection. At
this stage of soundboard build, the only variable left to tweak is plate
set/downbearing, and knowing the amount of deflection expected from a board might be
a good indicator of stiffness ?
figure angle of deflection. It's the rear length of the string from the front
bridge pin to the aliquot times . 026 for 1 & 1/2 degree. .017 for 1 degree.
This will give you distance bearing specs. I believe the average bearing force
for a typical 160 lb. tension scale is a bout four pounds per string at 1& 1/2
degrees deflection. What I know is that pre stressing the board usually
yields  a similar deflection after it's strung. It's simple to measure from the
strut down to the bridge top after the tension is on & I usually find about the
same amount of squash that pre-stressing yielded.
 Sorry if this seems overly minute, but I seem to get farther along in just
about any piano task if I can mike it up. BTW how did you measure that .400
panel ?
 I had the plate out & measured at the nose bolt holes.
   I have seen an un-mounted soundboard calipered using a dial indicator
clamped to the top of a jigsaw (sans blade) but in the piano is different. I
finished putting a .020 probe into the end of a depth mike
 Glenn